Adjective Clauses with Prepositions


 When you change a sentence that has a separable phrasal verb and object (verb + preposition + object) into an adjective clause, you can keep the verb and preposition together, or you can put the preposition with the relative pronoun that starts the adjective clause.

 

For people:  The teacher gave me good advice.  I spoke to her yesterday.

The teacher whom spoke to yesterday gave me good advice.

The teacher who spoke to yesterday gave me good advice.

The teacher that spoke to yesterday gave me good advice.

The teacher ø spoke to yesterday gave me good advice.

OR

The teacher to whom spoke yesterday gave me good advice.

 

Notice that if you put the preposition before the relative pronoun and you are referring to a person, you can only use “whom”, not to who or to that or to nothing.

 

 

For things:    The bag was empty.  She looked in it.

The bag which she looked in was empty.

The bag that she looked in was empty.

The bag ø she looked in was empty.



Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Adjetives

Adjective Clauses with the Possessive